The 2022 Western National Event will be held on Monday, Nov 7th and Tuesday, Nov 8th near Richfield, Utah
- We invite teams or individuals from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, or Montana to register and participate. Registration is due by Oct 26, 2022.
- The registration fee:
- 5 team members + Advisor = $100
- Individuals and Additional Assistants = $20
Award will include plaques, the silver belt buckle for the top hand and an array of prizes.
Site Specific Details for 2022:
- Current Rangeland Issue is Wild Horses and Burros -More information about the current rangeland issue can found on the Preparation Page
- Five Utah Plants will be added to the Plant Identification list. (Plant List of all 65 plants).
- Yellow Salsify (Tragopogon dubius)
- Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis)
- James Galleta (Hilaria jamesii)
- Forage Kochia (Bassia prostrata)
- Common Mullen (Verbascum thapsus)
- Changes for 2022:
- Removal of Part 4B: Browse Age Diversity and Part 4C: Browse and Ecosystem Change. These are useful ecological concepts put the practice of determining age diversity on upland shrubs has been deemed untenable. Therefore this section has been removed from the CDE.
- Replacement of the Animal Unit Equivalent (AUE) with the varied intake rates based on animal type and weight. See Part 1A: Stocking Rate and Management Recommendations in the updated manual for specific information. As 2022 is a transition year, the stocking rate problem will be based on ruminant animals weighing 1,000 lbs or more and expected to eat 2.5% of their body weight each day.
Schedule will be sent to winning teams
Event Manual & Rules
- Updated Western National CDE Manual with background information and guidelines.
- Event Rules
- Scorecards (MSWord or pdf)
Resources for Organizers:
- Contest Setup Instructions (Will be updated soon)
- Place Cards for Event Sections (11″ X 17″)
- Supply List(with links to purchase equipment)
- Selecting a Local Study Site – Information to help choose a local range site to help participants prepare.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.